Social issue

The social issue I chose was the legalization of physician assisted suicide/ euthanasia. This is a current issue because there is debate on whether ending a terminally ill patient’s life on their request is humane or the right thing to do because this will end them and their families pain and suffering. Most lives that have been ended by euthanasia were that of cancer patients. I think the solution to end the tension around this subject is to legalize physician assisted suicide(euthanasia) everywhere. I believe it is a humane and ethical option for someone that has been caused suffering and pain from terminal Illness or mental illness. The pros of legalized euthanasia would that the terminally ill would die in dignity and not suffer a painful slow death. Euthanasia would also save medical funds that can be used on other patients. Others argue against euthanasia by stating that the legalization of euthanasia would lead a “slippery slope into legalizing non voluntary euthanasia, or even murder”. Another argument against legal euthanasia  is that I devaluates human life and the rights of a human.

Any other arguments for euthanasia suggested would be appreciated. What can I include or change to have a strong argument?

3 thoughts on “Social issue”

1. While many would disagree that doctor assisted suicide/euthanasia is an ethical thing, I believe it is. If someone is willing to leave this world of their own accord, then it’d be better for it to be done under the supervision of a medically trained personnel rather than a rope or a empty pill bottle.

2. I think your information is complete, euthanasia is a big argument and a strong debate you need to explain in detail, that’s all 🙂

3. I like your social issue very much. I think a little bit more detail would make for a stronger argument. I also think that it should be the patients choice.